Sunday, February 11, 2007

Welcome to the Fireside Blog

Welcome to the Fireside Blog. I plan on using this platform to write about my work as your State Representative, serving the residents of Chisago County, Minnesota - district 17B. As a first-term legislator, my primary concern is making sure that your interests and your voice is represented here in the halls of the Capitol.

Nearly 75 years ago, the nation faced terrible challenges and economic hardship. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt enlisted the help of new technology - radio - to address the nation. These addresses became known as the Fireside Chats, and largely helped rally the country to a shared cause, especially once World War II broke out across Europe and the U.S. was drawn into the war by the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I've borrowed this phrase from FDR and applied it to a fairly new medium - internet web-logging a.k.a. blogging - because I realized that during the heart of winter, I do most of my work at home, sitting by the side of a toasty-warm fire.

I hope to post as regularly as possible. Sometimes you'll get an inside look at a policy discussion or a legislative event. Other times I hope to share community news and events. And, unfortunately, sometimes you may have to settle with a news release that is pasted here for your interest.

Above all, I invite you email me about any and all concerns you have about your government. You can reach me at the Capitol office at Rep.Jeremy.Kalin@House.mn or at 651-296-5377. You can also reach me at home at Jeremy@Kalin.com or 651-257-9861. You can always, of course, visit my official webpage here.

Thanks for your time and interest, and as always, stay warm. I recommend a fire in a wood-stove, whenever you can.

- Jeremy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rep. Kalin,

If you build a blog you have to post!

Seriously, it's a good idea. Look forward to updates.